Tuesday, February 12, 2013

From the land of Colfax

Hello family!
It sounds like you are all doing wonderful! I'm glad the play and basketball are all going well (for the most part:) Sounds like it's all keeping you all very busy! 
This week was a good one for the most part! As you know I'm living in Greensboro and serving in the Colfax ward. (pronounced Call-fax) This week we met with one of the investigators we inherited from the Elders who were here before. Her name is Vickie, she runs a hot dog stand and she's hilarious. She has such a good heart and she knows the church is true and reads more than I do out of the Book of Mormon everyday. She has a few road blocks keeping her from getting baptized and the fact that the Elders she was comfortable with are now gone is putting her back a little bit too. But she is progressing and she really is such a good person who KNOWS it. 
While we were out tracting on our car fast day last week we tracted into a lady named Brenda who is such a sweetheart and she said she could feel the spirit when we came into her home and she invited us back. We went back a few days later with a member of the ward and we were having a great lesson and the spirit was so strong until her husband came home from work and the minute he heard me say Joseph Smith he flipped a lid. I was getting a little nervous but everyone else remained calmed so I tried to play it cool. He told us to leave and that he didn't want any part of what we had to share but his wife sure did. She was not happy that he interrupted. We ended up staying another half hour or so and his heart was a little softened but he was still mad. I want to go back sometime and follow up with her. She wants it but her husband is just in the way right now.
On Tuesday (our car fast days) we got back from our dinner appointment and it was dark and freezing outside  but we still had like an hour and a half until nightly planning and I just said, we need to go.  Our apartment is not anywhere near a neighborhood so we walked a good way until we found some houses and we knocked on a lady's door who let us come in a pray with her. She said she could feel the spirit and that she had researched some things about our church and was kind of curious about what we had to share. We are meeting with her later this week so I'll let you know how things go with her. We're a little nervous though because she said she'd have to check with her fiance..so we'll just have to see. 
One day last week we were out tracting and ended up talking for a while with a man who is Muslim. We went back and forth on our beliefs for a little while and he said he didn't need to read the Book of Mormon because everything he needed to know about God was in the Koran (sp?) which he had in his hand. He kept offering it to us and we kept offering him a Book of Mormon. We said a prayer with him and he said, you know what if you read this (and he handed me a book that said "a brief english guide to understanding Islam") I'll read your book. And I said, done. So we exchanged and left after talking for a little while longer.  Who knew at the end of a street of all baptist people, a muslim guy would be the only one to take a copy of the Book of Mormon. 
Saturday we got to go down to Charlotte to have a mission wide meeting with Elder NELSON. It was wonderful. He and Elder Giddons of the Seventy spoke to us. It was a great meeting. The spirit was so strong and it is clear that he is a prophet called of God. No question about it. It was so fun to be there with everyone and we all got to shake his hand and meet him briefly. It was such a neat experience. 
After the meeting President Craven pulled me aside and said he wanted to meet with me. I'll give more details about it in a letter home but it was such a good interview. He and his wife are called of God and I know that there is a reason I'm in this mission at this time serving with them. 
Well family, I LOVE you. Send me letters because I want to hear from you. Checking the mail at the end of the day is something I look forward to and I haven't gotten a hand written letter from a single person in the family. So get going you kids. Also, I know the Academy Awards are coming up and I'm real sad I'm missing it. But have fun. Even you, dad. :) Thank you for all the love and support you give me and for the prayers. It means more to me than you'll ever know.
Quince, good luck with your last week of basketball. Play harder than you ever had. Foul out. It's the best way to go;) Also, HAPPY SIXTEENTH BIRTHDAY THIS FRIDAY. I'm so sad I can't be there for the big boy girl party but know that I am thinking about you and hopefully my present has already gotten there. I LOVE you birthday girl. 
Bud: write me. NOW. 
J: I'll try to get you a hand written letter this week. Thank you for the email. Be tough girlfriend. I love you so much. 
Katie baby: Alma 17: 2-5. I love you. I'm praying for you.
Mom and dad: you're the best. I love and appreciate you more everyday. I'm praying for you. Mom, I'm thinking about you a lot this week. I'll be praying for you. I know it's not an easy week. 
Angela Marie Brown: email me THE MINUTE you open your call. Seriously. I'm SO EXCITED for you girl. AHHH I'll be thinking about you all week. Every minute on Wednesday. 
I hope you all have a happy valentine's day this week! 
I love you all! I hope you all have a great week! The church is true. The Book of Mormon is true. I can't say that enough. I know with everything that I am that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Earth. I'm so grateful that he did. I'm happy to be a missionary, as rough as it is some days. I'm happy I'm here and I know this is where I'm supposed to be. 
Love, 
Sister Webber
p.s. southern word of the week: druggist aka a pharmacist.
Ex: I went down and talked to muh ma's druggist and said her pills were makin her sick. (I had to cover my mouth to not laugh). These people are the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment