Monday, March 11, 2013

Two months and a baptism


Family!!
I don't have a ton of time to write. There is a countdown on this computer that is stressing me out so I'll go as fast as I can.
This week as been LOCO. Seriously. I forgot to tell you last week that before I left the Colfax area, my comp and I thought it would be a good idea to "tract into" Chris Daughtry's house. He lives in Oak Ridge. Surprise, his property is top notch security and we had little success there;) Just thought I'd let y'all know;)
Anyway. Tuesday transfers were crazy and good. I got my little trainee. Her name is Sister Sellers and she's from Woodruff, UT. She's a nice girl. She's barely 19 so definitely one of the new rush like everyone else.
We drove three and a half hours to the Cherokee nation on Tuesday night and got to our place which is oddly above a shop in Bryson City, NC called Madison's on Main. Whaaaaat. Yeah it's a cute little shop just like Dear Lizzie.
The rest of the week was kind of all over the place.  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are kind of all a blur. We met with members of the ward and the ward mission leader and tried to get our bearings straight. We had district meeting which obviously you can tell from maps that everything is so spread out so it took us well over an hour just to get to district meeting last week. We have a really good ward though with a TON of less active members. There are close to 400 members in our ward boundaries and I think there were about 125 at church yesterday. So we'll be working hard on that.
Saturday we had a BAPTISM! Everyone in the ward was joking about how good we must be for having a baptism on day 4. Yeah. We're that good. But it really was such a great experience and we had the opportunity to plan out the whole thing and actually finish teaching this investigator, Judy the rest of the missionary lessons. She had a baptismal date set of March 9th and when the Elders who were here previously tried to give us details, they just said...well nothing is planned, we don't know if it's still happening so that was the main focus for us this week.
On Saturday we planned to go visit a former investigator who wasn't home when we stopped so we decided to go tracting in their neighborhood (neighborhoods are RARE here, seriously) anyway...we met a lady who asked if we could pray for all these things going on in her life. After we prayed we were just talking and she was telling us about her husband who died in the late 90s and how she used to ask him if they'd be married forever and he would tell her no and she said, that just doesn't seem right to me. I feel like we should be married forever. My companion and I looked at each other and my eyes got real big and I got so excited and practically yelled at her, YOU CAN! You can be married to him forever and her eyes got huge and she just said, I can!? And then we went on about the Plan of Salvation for a few minutes and she gave us all her contact info and said to give her a week because she had to deal with the "crisis" going on in her life right now but she was so excited about it. She said, everyone tells me we can't be married forever! God sent you two to me! I know he did. --so that was a really fun experience.
We ended up catching the former investigator at home right after that. Turns out this husband and wife act (and are) Mormon and they just don't know it. We walked into their house and saw The Proclamation and The Living Christ hanging on their wall. They read from the Book of Mormon together everyday and the wife is working on reading a section from The Doctrine and Covenants everyday. I was thinking, so why aren't you two baptized. So they are one of our main focuses right now too. They have a grandson on a mission and are really interested in the church.
We're also working with a family right now, it is actually the family of Judy who was baptized on Saturday. Her husband's grandkids (I guess they'd be her step grandchildren) are all three over the age of eight. They want to be baptized and they come to church with their grandpa every week. I think there is a wait on parental approval...But they are GREAT kids. We went over and spent time with them last night and talked to them about church and baptism. I see some really good things happening with them hopefully really soon in the future.
Well I'm running out of time very quickly. But I LOVE YOU. Thank you for all the love and support. This gospel is TRUE. I can't say it enough. I want to scream it from these small mountain hills. I love being a missionary, as hard as it is. I love this work. I love my family. I love that we are FOREVER. I'm so grateful for each of you.
Quinc-you're looking like a babe. I'm excited for your big dance;) :)
Mommio! Thank you for the newpaper clippings. It's killing me that I'm missing all of that. Every house we go into they say, Oh! We're just watching a game. it KILLS me. I'm missing two months of March on my mission. That'll be so fun:) haha but thank you for keeping me updated.
Dad; I love you so much! Thank you for everything
J; love you pumpkin. write me a letter.
Someone tell my cute Rose Carter that I said good luck this week and that I love her!
I love y'all. You're in my prayers
Love,
Sister Webber








No comments:

Post a Comment