Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's day

This was a good week. First of all, Gramma Rue thank you for fixing those skirts for me and for the wonderful letter! I'm glad you love those Elders that are coming to visit you! That makes me so happy!
Also, my bike has arrived. I'm still too nervous to get on and ride it because it's going to hurt, but it looks reaaal nice sitting in my apartment. :) I'll let you know how sore I am after this week:)
Last night we were over at a member's house for dinner and a young man who served his mission here that went home about when I got here is back for the summer doing sales and joined us for dinner. He was talking about what life is like after a mission and the adjustments that were made in his life. He went on and on talking about the last 6 months of his life and inside it just felt like someone was punching my heart. It was honestly the first time on my mission that I've had the thought, "I want to stay and be a missionary forever" I don't think I truly appreciated what a privilege it is to be a missionary and how unique this experience really is. I gained a whole new love yesterday for being a missionary. My companion and I were talking about it last night after we got back to our apartment and and about how a mission is the most difficult and emotional, spiritual, and physically exhausting experience in the world and at times its awful and hard but it's the best thing in the world. It's the hardest thing to explain but that's kind of what it's like. I can't put it into words. But missions are the best. It's the best thing for me. I have never in my life felt the Spirit the way I feel it as a missionary. This life is for us to become more like our Savior and that should be our focus everyday, to "become." Our Father in Heaven knows what we are capable of and knows what we can become and continually gives us opportunities to strengthen our faith in Christ, change, and become more like Him. In a meeting we had recently, someone said, Heavenly Father gives us trials to overcome because He trusts us knows we can handle it and overcome it if we rely on Him. I've learned so much about being humble and learning to completely rely on the Lord because we cannot do it alone.
Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and He knows what we are going through. He is aware of our needs and our struggles and wants to help us up every time we fall but we must allow Him to do so and ask for His help. Elder Holland's talk from October conference talked about how when the Savior returned, He addressed His apostles as children. That's just what we are. Spiritual children and babies who need to rely on their Father to overcome difficulties to ultimately 'become' like our Savior.
Sorry for that sermon. I have learned so much about the Doctrine of Christ as a missionary and applying it. I just want to share it with everyone.
Yesterday was a really good day in general. As hard as it was to be away from my Dad on Father's day, the tender mercies of the Lord were all around. We had a sacred and special experience with our bishop yesterday that will hold a special place in my heart forever.
I love being a missionaries. Even though there are days when I want to kick something (or someone:) it is the best thing in the world. Before I left Kate wrote me and said, You have 18 months to serve the Lord and eternity to think about what you did with those 18 months. I reflect on that each day when I feel like taking a break or giving up. We will find strength in the Lord as we pray for help. I know He is there for us. 
I love y'all and I hope you have a wonderful week. I'm praying for you!
Love you to the moon and back,
Sister Webber 

s

No comments:

Post a Comment